Cleaning the roofing in Chicago homes can increase the curb appeal of your home. Regular maintenance will reduce or eliminate discolorations and streaks that make your relatively new roof look old and worn out. Cleaning will also help to remove mildew and moss that can damage your shingles.
What you’ll need to clean your roofing:
A bucket 1 gallon of hot water 1 cup of powdered laundry detergent 1 cup of chlorine bleach A garden hose A pump sprayer A stiff, natural-bristled broom A stir stick A ladder Rubber soled shoes Safety glasses Harness
- Mix: Combine the bleach, detergent, and hot water in the bucket and stir with the stick until the detergent granules have dissolved. Then pour it into the garden sprayer.
- Wash: Working in 3x10 ft. sections, spray the cleaning solution onto the roof. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes, then scrub the wet area using a broom if needed to remove dirt, moss, mold, or other debris. If the roof is drying off rapidly, continue spraying the mixture to keep the section wet while you’re working.
- Rinse: Rinse each section with clean water as you finish scrubbing to avoid allowing the dirty water to dry on the roof.
- Repeat: Repeat the process until the entire roof is clean.
Helpful Tips to help you when cleaning your roofing:
• The best time to clean shingles are cool, overcast days. This will ensure that the cleaner won’t dry as fast as you spray it on the roof.
• Always begin cleaning at the lower edge of the roof and work your way up. This will reduce your chances of slipping by allowing you to remain on a dry surface throughout the cleaning process.
• Always use a harness when working on your roof to avoid major injury in case you slip or fall.
• Wearing safety goggles will prevent the cleaning solution from blowing into your eyes, especially if you’re working on a breezy day, which is important to remember when working on roofing in Chicago.Taking the time to clean the roofing in Chicago houses will not only make increase your curb appeal, it will extend the life of your roof.