What Every Chicago Roofing Contractor Wants Homeowners to Know About Easy Roof Maintenance
Chicago's weather is rough, which makes annual inspection and maintenance essential to the upkeep of your home. Because your roof takes the brunt of the harsh conditions, you should do a routine check and make repairs to extend the life of your roof and avoid expensive repairs or early replacement. Below is the beginner's guide to Chicago roofing maintenance.
- Remove debris from the surface of the roof. Dirt and debris has the potential to hold water that will expedite the deterioration of the roof. Remove debris near all roof penetrations such as HVAC units, pipes and pitch pans.
- Clean out and flush gutters.
- Check flashing for deterioration and holes and repair or replace if necessary.
- Check for bumps or blisters on the roof. If blisters are present, don't step on or puncture them in any way, and contact a qualified Chicago roofing maintenance contractor.
- Check the caulking and sealant on your flashing and coping. Remove caulking that is cracked or damaged and clean the area thoroughly, using a wire brush. Reapply a polyurethane caulking.
- Check mortar on the chimney and parapet walls Check between the brick as well as the top. If you see any damage, you'll need to have it tuckpointed.
- Walk the perimeter of your home to check for any dead tree limbs or other debris. that could become airborne in the event of inclement weather. Remove or secure these items to ensure they do not become airborne in the event of inclement weather.
- Finally, watch for leaks in the roof and have them repaired immediately. Allowing holes or cracks to leak may cause dangerous mold as well as structural damage.
Weather can be brutal in Chicago. Roofing maintenance is necessary to protect the inside of your home from the elements outside. If you notice any significant damage or feel that necessary repairs are above your skill level, contact a qualified Chicago roofing contractor for an estimate.